June 15, 2020
These guidelines provide the process for evaluating adjunct faculty members within the Klein College of Media and Communication for the purpose of being considered for promotion, pay increase, or to request a multi-semester appointment.
- An adjunct faculty member with an appointment in Klein College may request an evaluation for the purpose of being considered for a multi-semester appointment, a pay increase within the guidelines for adjunct faculty pay within Klein College (see below), or change in title. Consideration for change in title or pay must include an evaluation of the adjunct faculty member.
- A request for evaluation should be made to either the department chair or program director for which the adjunct faculty member is employed. If teaching for more than one department or program, the request may be made to the head of either one. The request should include a list of courses the adjunct faculty member is currently teaching and, if relevant, has taught in the past up to three semesters of employment within Klein College.
- If the request is made within the first four weeks of the fall or spring semester, the evaluation should take place during the same semester or, at the latest, during the following semester in which the adjunct faculty member is employed.
- Evaluation shall include multiple measures of performance. These measures may include, but are not limited to, student feedback forms (SFFs), classroom observation, review of syllabi and assignments, review of student projects, review of student assignments, consultation with a teaching mentor or sequence head. In addition, the adjunct faculty member may provide student letters and emails in support of the faculty member’s teaching. Except for extenuating circumstances, at minimum, the evaluation should include a classroom observation, review of syllabi for current courses, and review of SFFs.
- The program supervisor is the person or persons responsible for making personnel recommendations regarding the adjunct faculty member’s appointment. Generally, the supervisor is the department chair or program director of the program in which the adjunct faculty member is employed. The supervisor shall be responsible for conducting the evaluation. The supervisor may appoint a designee to conduct the evaluation, who will provide an evaluation report to the supervisor. The evaluation report shall include a written summary of the evaluation, a copy of any materials reviewed, and a report of any in-class observations.
- Except for extenuating circumstances, the evaluation report shall be completed within two weeks of the classroom observation. If completed by a designee, the report will be submitted to the supervisor within 14 calendar days of the classroom observation.
- Except for extenuating circumstances, the supervisor shall provide the adjunct faculty member with a written summary of the evaluation report within 30 calendar days of the classroom observation. The written summary and the evaluation report will be placed in the adjunct faculty member’s department personnel file.
- Decisions resulting from the evaluation are the sole discretion of Klein College. Seeking evaluation does not guarantee change in pay, title, or assignment of a multi- semester appointment.
- An adjunct faculty member who receives an unsatisfactory evaluation may provide a written response which will be placed in the personnel file. If a response is submitted, a note will be placed in the departmental file stating that a response is included in the personnel file.
- An adjunct faculty member may request a formal evaluation at any time, but no more than once during any two (2) successive semesters of employment.
- A supervisor, as well as other personnel within Klein College responsible for making personnel recommendations, may evaluate an adjunct faculty member’s teaching within Klein College at any time. Normally, an adjunct faculty member will be notified at least seven (7) calendar days before a classroom observation takes place. The adjunct faculty member should provide any materials requested by the evaluator, such as syllabi, assignments, and student projects, to the evaluator, and invite the evaluator to the relevant courses’ Canvas site, within 14 calendar days.
Under exceptional circumstances, Temple University, in its sole discretion, may conduct an evaluation without notice.
Multi Semester Appointments
- Whether an adjunct faculty member is appointed for single or multiple semesters is at the discretion of the dean of Klein College. Multiple semester appointments do not need to be for consecutive semesters and may extend beyond an academic year. Appointment letters must state which semesters and which years the adjunct faculty member will have teaching assignments.
- A multi-semester contract does not need to initially specify the course assignment(s) beyond the first semester, but the contract commits to hiring for the additional semesters.
- If an adjunct faculty member receives a multi-semester contract to teach in multiple departments within Klein College, the appointment shall be coordinated by the dean’s office, which will specify which department the adjunct will teach in during each semester of the appointment.