Study the Children's Media Industry in Los Angeles, CA
Home to dozens of Hollywood studios, theaters and landmarks, Los Angeles is known as the entertainment capital of the world. The Children's Media Industry: Trends and Career Opportunities program gives students an opportunity to learn about the global, multi-billion-dollar kids entertainment industry growing on the West Coast. In addition to the legacy children’s media brands of Nickelodeon, Disney and Cartoon Network, major digital and social media companies including Netflix, Amazon and YouTube have invested heavily in creating content for kids.
Studies show children spend more than eight hours a day with media, including television, video games, apps, movies and music. This program explores the identities of the people and the companies creating this content. Students will also examine the kinds of effects media has on children, social development, their learning and their sense of identity. How does the media industry balance its desire to entertain and educate children with its need for revenue?
This immersive summer program is led by Professor Sherri Hope Culver, whose work on children’s media and media literacy is world renowned. Students will get a close look at the industry by examining articles and scholarship on the topic and through on-site experiences at companies creating the content and meetings with the executives deciding the future of children’s media.
This program features visits to the Jim Henson Company and Nickelodeon Studios, and a number of professional speakers.
Los Angeles, Summer I 2020:
- Terms Available: May 2020
- Dates: May 11, 2020 to May 23, 2020 (Tentative)
- Course: The Children's Media Industry: Trends and Career Opportunities (3 credits)
- Faculty: Professor Sherri Hope Culver, Department of Media Studies and Production
- Student Life: Students will stay in a hostel, hotel or student dorm accommodation for the duration of the program.
- Program is open to undergraduates and graduate students.
- Application deadline: February 15, 2019
To schedule an appointment to learn more or to start your application for The Children’s Media Industry program, visit the Global Opportunities application portal.