Temple University’s Lew Klein College of Media and Communication has a rich and complex history, and its evolution mirrors that of the communications field. Since its inception in 1927, Klein has continuously updated itself to reflect the needs of the media industry by offering a nuanced combination of theoretical learning and practical opportunities. In this way, Klein provides leading academics, research and support while preparing students to succeed.
Photo by Ryan S. Brandenberg, CLA ’14
Klein College of Media and Communication dates back to 1927 when the Department of Journalism was founded in the School of Commerce. The departments within the school have gone through several iterations since 1967 when they combined to form the School of Communications and Theater.
In 2017, the school was renamed and dedicated as the Lew Klein College of Media and Communication after Philadelphia media pioneer and philanthropist Lew Klein, who also taught in Klein College for more than 60 years.
Klein College is one of the largest comprehensive colleges or schools of media and communication in the U.S. and comprises four departments: Advertising and Public Relations, Communication and Social Influence, Journalism, and Media Studies and Production. Klein offers six majors, a number of master’s programs and a doctoral program in media and communication, all of which are staffed by the research faculty from across the Klein College departments.
2017: The Department of Advertising added a new major in Public Relations and was renamed the Department of Advertising and Public Relations, and the Strategic Communication Department was transformed into the Department of Communication and Social Influence.
The School of Media and Communication was named and dedicated as the Lew Klein College of Media and Communication after Philadelphia media pioneer, philanthropist and Temple Professor Lew Klein.
2012: The Department of Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Mass Media was renamed the Department of Media Studies and Production.
The school was renamed the School of Media and Communication as part of a realignment that moved the departments of Film and Media Arts and Theater to a new Center for the Arts.
2011: The communications program became the communication studies program.
2010: TUTV, Temple’s digital cable channel, was launched in Philadelphia on Comcast and Verizon as well as online at templetv.net.
The Department of Strategic and Organizational Communication was renamed the Department of Strategic Communication.
2004: The Department of Journalism, Public Relations and Advertising split into three departments: Advertising, Journalism, and Strategic and Organizational Communication, the latter of which combined organizational leadership, public relations and rhetoric.
2000: The school added several new media specialists to the faculty and formed the New Media Interdisciplinary concentration.
1999: The Communications Interdisciplinary Major was introduced.
1995: Journalism was renamed Journalism, Public Relations and Advertising.
Radio-Television-Film was divided into the Department of Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Mass Media and the Department of Film and Media Arts.
1971: The school introduced the Master of Fine Arts in Film and Video.
1967: The Master of Fine Arts in Theater program was created.
The departments combined to form the School of Communications and Theater.
Film was added to form the Department of Radio, Television and Film.