With media award season in full swing, TUTV – Temple University Television is proud to receive four Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) awards at the 83rd IBS Awards Ceremony in New York.
This year’s honors include
- Best College/University TV Station,
- Best Video Newscast: Temple Update March 24th, 2022,
- Best Video Commercial: TUTV Brand Promo Spring 2022 and
- Best Use of Graphics in Video: Inside the Nest Graphics Package Fall 2022.
“The great recognition of which we are most appreciative was being named Best College/University TV Station in the nation by our peers,” said TUTV General Manager and Associate Professor of Practice Paul Gluck. To make the recognition even sweeter, Gluck said, this is the second year in a row that the station has received the honor.
Associate Professor of Practice and OwlSports Update Executive Producer Matt Fine attended the ceremony in New York, along with five other Klein College of Media and Communication students representing different TUTV programs.
This was Fine’s first time attending the ceremony, and the first in-person ceremony in two years. All Fine and the students knew before the event was that they were nominated and that there was a chance they could go home empty-handed.
But, because of the incredible work our students do, TUTV took home four awards!
“It’s always nice when we do well, and when our peers do well. We may have different outlets, but in the long run, we’re all one big happy family working under the umbrella of TUTV,” Fine said.
OwlSports Update was awarded for their use of graphics, Temple Update for one of their newscasts and a group of students for a promotional announcement they made for the station. But all the different programs and people involved in TUTV have the honor of sharing the best station award.
“It’s the combination of so many different hands,” Fine said.
Senior media studies and production major and Temple Update Producer Olivia Benner is one of the students who had the honor to represent TUTV at the ceremony. Even though the awards mostly honored shows from the previous school year, before she was a producer, Benner still took pride in accepting the awards on behalf of her previous mentors at the station.
“It was exciting seeing all the hard work that a lot of my really good friends put forth being recognized and winning,” Benner said.
Gluck appreciates the fact that organizations like IBS consistently advocate for the enrichment of student media and is proud of every student that makes TUTV a national leader in college TV stations.
In addition to the four awards won, TUTV and WHIP Radio received the following nominations
- Best Station Contest/Promotional Event: BIG-Before I Graduate,
- Best Logo: WHIP Radio,
- Best Show Intro: For the Love of the City Spring 2022,
- Best News Report: Temple Update Live From London – The Death of Queen Elizabeth,
- Best Sports Program: For the Love of the City,
- Best Variety Program: World At Temple,
- Best Variety Program: The Vibe At Temple,
- Best Talk Program: Queer Temple,
- Best Sports Play-By-Play (Women’s Basketball): Mia Davis All-time Leading Scorer and
- Best Sports Director, Television: Hailey Palmer.