Klein College of Media and Communication - Live from North Philly
Klein College of Media and Communication’s mission is to prepare the media creators of tomorrow for professional careers as well as scholarly pursuits through a dynamic combination of academic rigor and practical training within a large urban media market. Our faculty is rich with research, creative and professionals experience, and represents the wide range of professions represented across the college.
Innovation is our tradition
Klein has a rich and complex history, and its evolution is intertwined with the media history of Philadelphia, the nation’s fourth-largest media market. Since its inception in 1927 and expansion to the School of Communications and Theater in 1967, Klein has continuously updated itself to reflect the needs of the media industry by offering a nuanced combination of theoretical learning and practical opportunities.
In 2017, the School of Media and Communication was renamed and dedicated as the Lew Klein College of Media and Communication after Philadelphia media pioneer and philanthropist Lew Klein, who also taught at Klein for over 60 years. This renaming marked a turning point in the history of the college, enshrining Lew’s already present legacy in campus legend forever.
Learn in real time
Klein is a comprehensive college of media and communication, with four departments covering advertising and public relations, communication and social influence (CSI), journalism and media studies and production (MSP). From these departments, we offer six majors in advertising, CSI, communication studies, journalism, MSP and public relations.
Your future on your terms
We also offer a number of minors, certificates, master’s programs and a doctoral program in media and communication, taught by faculty representing all of Klein’s departments and research areas. Our students bring a host of skills and interests to the table from the time they enroll through graduation, making Klein a truly unique place to learn, live and experience the ever-changing world of media and communication.
Everything you need and more
We are here to help you succeed. That’s why Klein’s Office for Student Success is here to support our students every step of the way.
- Klein’s Office of Career Services exclusively helps Klein students in their search for jobs and internships, providing headshots, LinkedIn and resume workshops, interview attire and events.
- The Office of Global Opportunities (Klein GO) is your one-way ticket to seeing the world and enhancing your resume along the way! With dozens of opportunities to study, intern or both in various international and domestic locations, we can’t wait to see where you GO.
- The Office of Academic Advising is here for you as well. From orientation until you apply to graduate, you can count on our advisors.
Thrive at Klein
Many students assert that some of their most valuable experiences at Klein are with other students in student-run media and organizations. These organizations range from TUTV shows such as Lo Ultimo and We Need to Talk to publications like Freely Magazine and The Temple News, agencies like PRowl and professional organizations like the Sports Media Society for Women, the Temple Association for Black Journalists and Temple’s chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA).
- Bell Tower Music
- Fashionable Entrepreneurship Technology Communication HQ (FETCH)
- Freely Magazine
- Lambda Pi Eta
- LatinX Media Association
- Lo Ultimo
- PRowl Public Relations
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Sports Media Society for Women
- Templar Yearbook
- Temple Ad Club
- Temple Association for Black Journalists
- The Temple News
- Temple Update
- TU Public Advocacy Club
- We Need to Talk